Thursday, November 17, 2011

Facebook can save you from fire

HUNTER Matthews is lucky to be alive and can safely say that social media platform Facebook saved her life.

The 17-year-old student was home alone and asleep at her 65-year-old grandmother's Charnley St unit in Kearneys Spring on Monday night when a heater ignited clothing and the mattress she was asleep on.

Unaware of the fire and the thick black smoke filling her bedroom, Miss Matthews awoke when a Facebook alert was sent to her iPhone at 1.34am.

“It was only by chance that a friend commented on my status and Facebook sent an alert through to my phone, which woke me up,” Miss Matthews said.

“I am so lucky that I got that message, otherwise I would have been killed,” she said.

MORE ON THE STORY